>         I was always hearing about the great BGP as a very scalar
>protocol with lots of advantages, and suddenly I was a little
>shocked to learn that it was a variant of the
>distance-vector-protocol

Yes. As is the DUAL algorithm of EIGRP and the area 0.0.0.0 path
computation in OSPF.

>I have read many books praising the qualities of link-state
>protocols and mentioning the disadvantages of distance vector
>protocols I am a bit confused as a matter of preference what should
>I generally speak about distance vector protocol V/s Link state
>protocols.

You're dealing with oversimplifications.  Yes, first (RIP) and second
(IGRP) generation DV routing protocols are inferior to OSPF and
IS-IS, but that doesn't mean _all_ DV mechanisms are inappropriate.

To get into the detailed reasons would involve true routing theory,
but suffice it to say that the "disadvantages of distance vector" are
really specific limitations of RIP and IGRP, such as classful
operation, periodic update, etc.

BGP uses a Path Vector algorithm because it's the only tested
mechanism that scales to the necessary size.