>Howard,
>
>""Howard C. Berkowitz"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
>  > >I was told by an ISP that the minimum address aggregation acceptable on
>the
>  > >Internet is a single class C address space.  Is this correct?
>  >
>  > No, it is not.  It is the minimum allocation of provider-independent
>  > space by registries.  A /24, however, may NOT be globally routable.
>
>What do you mean by "may NOT be globally routable" ? This would be due to
>the address aggregation on the the 1st Tier ISP ?  Would this be a problem
>even if I'm connected to a 1st Tier ISP rather than a lower Tier ISP ?

Depends on the policy of the particular ISP, even tier 1.  Some
simply don't want to advertise any /24 that's not part of their
address space, some won't do it except for direct customers who have
negotiated to advertise provider-independent address space, some
might not be willing to negotiate to advertise an a more-specific
assignment of another provider's space, and some don't care.

>  > There are large numbers of organizations that multihome without their
>  > own address allocations.
>
>Without a address allocation, how could the multi-home be done ? Through
>use/advertising of Default/static routes ?

Several ways.  I discuss these in detail in my BGP series on
CertificationZone, a new paper in which should be in the CCIE free
area on September 1.

Specifically, see RFC's 1998 and 2270 for some schemes.

>  Could I multihome a network
>across different countries or different geographical region ?

You might -- which might or might not be a good idea. Depends what
you are trying to accomplish.  When I've done this, there were some
very carefully designed policies to protect transoceanic bandwidth.

>How could I ensure that the traffic takes the nearest route to the network
>and the data traffic from the network takes the nearest gateway out to the
>destination on the internet ? What is the potential problem with this ?

Not sure what you mean by this.  In general, the default of most
routing schemes is closest exit (hot potato) rather than best exit
(cold potato).  Again, discussed in some detail in the new paper.

"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not
directly to me***

Howard C. Berkowitz      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Director, CertificationZone.com
Senior Product Manager, Carrier Packet Solutions, NortelNetworks (for ID only)
   but Cisco stockholder!
"retired" Certified Cisco Systems Instructor (CID) #93005