I recently took the CATM class and we had some discussion over whether ATM
was dead or not ....

The consensus was this:

ATM has been passed out by a combination of Fast Ethernet, Gig Ethernet and
soon 10-Gig Ethernet - some of the newer features in IOS add the QOS factor.
However, someone forgot to tell the Telco's / Service Providers. ATM is a
big big big part of their networks and will continue to be for a long time
into the future. Also, a couple of Cisco's high end routers use an ATM
backbone - so an understanding of ATM is necessary.  Also, understanding how
ATM works helps you understand how carriers provision Frame Relay - so again
ATM knowledge is good.

Also, since the earlier post mentioned Token Ring, let me take a stab at
that too.

I hate Token Ring. Not dislike - but HATE. I've always hated it - with a
passion ! But as long as people have mainframes and SNA traffic and other
legacy IBM devices then Token Ring will play an important part in enterprise
networks. Therefore a thorugh knowledge of Token Ring will be required into
the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Feargal