Here it is, the answer you just *knew* was coming...ready?...

IT DEPENDS! ;-)

It depends on which book you're reading and which test you're studying for.

The original 80/20 rule stated that your network should be designed so that 80% of
your traffic remains on the local LAN, and 20% of your traffic will cross your WAN.

Well, when I sat down and began reading the CCDA study guide, the authors reversed
that rule, and said that only 20% of traffic will remain on the local LAN, and 80%
will traverse the WAN.  At first I thought that they were horribly confused (a la the
whole poison reverse thing - don't get me started!), but then they explained that with
a network which is connected to and relies heavily on the Internet for business
reasons, this rule is reversed.

So it basically boils down to traffic patterns - LAN traffic vs. WAN traffic, and what
your network has to be capable of handling.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Bradley J. Wilson
CCNA, CCDA, CCSE, MCT, CTT...and MCSE as of 8/29/00. ;)

Hurin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I knew this , I know I did, Must have gotten pushed out by that last
cram session. Help anybody?