The username is most likely coming from the the command Login Tacacs or
Login Local under your console or Vty lines....  Below shows what the config
would look like...

line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
login tacacs
transport input none
line vty 0 4
exec-timeout 120 0
password cisco
login local

The difference between the "local" and "tacacs" options are as follows...

The local option will look for username/passwords pairs from a local
database on the router which is entered using the username command....
username chris password cisco
username simct password routerguy
etc....

The tacacs option after the login command will point the authentication to
use the configured tacacs service.  Basically in the router config you would
have a tacacs configuration pointing to a tacacs server, so when you login
it now requests a username and password and will check it against the tacacs
database.

--
Chris A.

"Sim, CT (Chee Tong)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hi.. Dear all,
>
> May I know why my router require the username and password now, previouly
> when I telnet to the router, I just need to type the user mode password
>
> For your information, I think we are using the Security server to control
> access to all the router, my security server administrator just created a
> TACACS+ account for me and ask me to input my password.  After a few days,
> found the router require username from me after I telnet into it, then I
> type in my TACACS+ username and password , it guide me to the usermode.
and