From: George Zhang
Sent: 31 August 2000 15:33
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: A question about IPSec

I read the following form Cisco documentation about IPSec:

"IKE uses UDP port 500. The IPSec ESP and AH protocols use
PROTOCOL
numbers 50 and 51. Ensure that your access-list are
configured so that
50, 51 and UDP port 500 traffic is not blocked ..."

My question is, what are the PROTOCOL numbers? This is the
first time I
read or heard about "PROTOCOL number"? I know many
protocols by names
such as TCP, UDP, ICMP etc, by I have never heard about
PROTOCOL
numbers? What protocols 50 and 51 are associated with?
Could someone
please explain that to me? Thanks.

George Zhang, CCNP