My source is the Cisco Press "Cisco LAN Switching" By Clark and Hamilton.
Pages 617 and following. They refer to an end-to-end VLAN as a "flat earth"
model or campus-wide VLAN. It is not confined to a single switch block but
rather can span an entire campus. Pluses are that no routing is involved.
Minuses are that it doesn't scale. Much more in the book. It is a design
issue. The authors prefer the modular local implementation using routing in
the distribution layer.