Maybe I can help with this.

BGP doesn't do load balancing in the traditional sense of the word.  The
only time you'll see a router have two BGP learned routes to the same
network is when that router has two connections to the same ISP and you
have configured the command "maximum-paths 2" under the BGP routing
process.  And I venture to say that you'll never see a BGP router doing
"per-packet" load balancing.  Not in the real world.  Per-packet load
balancing requires process switching which drags performance of the router
down.

Typically, to make sure that both links get utilized, the edge BGP routers
will advertise a default route into the IGP and from there it is up to the
IGP to make the best routing decision.  For instance:

<BGP>------Router1------<OSPF>------Router2------<OSPF>
--------Router3------<OSPF>-------Router4----------<BGP>

Both Router1 and Router4 are injecting 0.0.0.0 into OSPF.  Now Router2 will
prefer the 0.0.0.0 coming from Router1 because it has a lower OSPF Metric
than the one coming from Router4.  (and the inverse is true of Router3).

Of course, you as the Design Engineer have every option open.  You can
influence all the traffic to go one way or another.  But you have to know
the network and the traffic patterns very well before you start.  You can
set metrics to influence path selection.  Or you can use Route Maps (Policy
routing).  You can have Router2 Send all HTTP traffic over Router1's
default link, and all other traffic over Router4's link.

You can customize BGP to suit your needs, but the difference between it and
other Routing Protocols is that you have to decide the direction, you can't
leave it up to BGP to pick the best path (like you would with an IGP).

Hope this helps.

Gary Frye
Internetwork Engineer - CCNP,CCDP,CNE,MCSE
Charlotte, NC 28262
Phone: (704) 427-0564
Pager: (800) 504-8567
Cell:  (704) 502-7921
Fax:   (704) 590-7477
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:  http://www.firstunion.com

"Because we're dealing with Engineers and not Mathematician, 'infinity'
turns out to be 16."
-Radia Perlman on IP RIP

---------------------- Forwarded by Gary Frye/AO/USR/FTU on 09/05/2000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 09/04/2000 10:16:55 PM