this is a misconception.
Dark fiber or Dark fibre as we can it here in England.God save the Queen an
all that is actually a fibre based product that enables long distances to be
covered.Where as fibre has approximatley a 2km depth,  Dark fibre is able to
run for much longer lengths.
i have seen it used for up to 20 30 40 miles