I can tell you how to get rid of Netbios,
get rid of Windoze machines.....<g>

Netbios is encapsulated within IP
( assuming you are using IP on WinXX machines ), even if you don't have
Netbeui loaded. One of the best ways to minimize netbios broadcasts in your
network is to have a WINS server or servers and manually set the winblows
machines to WINS only mode so that it gets it's name lookups from the WINS
server only and not from broadcast or hybrid mode.

That's the simple version of it. Way too long a subject to talk about here
as this is a Cisco study forum.
I minimize all broadcasts by keeping my VLANs under 200 devices and route
between VLANs.
Assuming your NT server services and workstations are setup correctly, you
shouldn't have a real big issue anyway.

I run Appletalk on my network as well, and you're right, Netbios does a lot
more bandwidth damage than Appletalk does.  ;-)

Scott

> And who said AppleTalk was chatty? Someone who had never used a Sniffer to
> watch a PC running NetBIOS for Microsoft networking. &;-)
>
> Priscilla
>
> At 08:38 PM 9/6/00, David Williams wrote:
>>Netbios: access vs. excess. You decide.
>>
>>"beth shriver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > I was recently reading through one of laura chappels
>> > pod books that suggested netbios was not a good thing
>> > to have too much on the network. I just recently took
>> > a look at my network and i see a TON of it flying
>> > around! capturenet shows:tcp->NETBIOS-SSN
>> > can you tell me what this netbios would be good for
>> > and if nothing how do i get rid of it?
>> > thanks
>> > Beth

>>Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Scott Nelson - Network Engineer
Wash DC     +1202-270-8968 & +1202-352-6646
Los Angeles +1310-367-6646
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]