Currently, doing a design for a client where there are 2 server
subnets,
> and
> about 4 user subnets; routing acheived with a NetBuilder
(3Com).
> There are also 3 IPX networks (Novell Servers) which are
being used -
> legacy
> file/print servers, all the user subnets need to be able to
see the
> Novell
> Servers.
>
> The plan is to move over to an entirely switched LAN setup.
> The existing IP subnets, I'm mapping over to there own
individual
> VLAN's,
> with a layer-3 card, in one of the Catalyst's providing
routing between
> the
> VLAN's.
>
> My question really is, what about the IPX traffic? Does this
need to be
> mapped to it's own VLAN, or can it "ride" the existing IP
VLAN's?
> If IPX gets mapped to it's own VLAN, how do you assign a
physical port
> multiple VLAN's (ie., IP and IPX), inlight of the fact that
some of the
> end
> devices have multiple protocol stacks configured?
>
> I've not been able to find much information relating to how
IPX in
> particular, or for that matter any other protocol traffic
(ie.,
> AppleTalk),
> traverses a switched network???
>
> Any help and/or pointers would be most welcome :-)

A couple of thoughts.  Look at VLANs for what they are, namely
broadcast domains.  There is not necessarily any need to put a
host on a separate VLAN just because it is running a different
routed protocol.  Think in terms of total broadcasts for all
hosts on the VLAN as a percentage of total traffic.  Use
guidelines spelled out in "Top Down Network Design," by
Priscilla Oppenheimer for rules of thumb for max number of
hosts on a VLAN (see page 103).  That is a good starting
point.  There is a larger issue however, and it deals with a
topic you have not mentioned.  You are about to migrate to a
switched network and you have not mentioned anything about MLS,
or multilayer switching.  MLS will provide the ability to route
at wire speed.  Nowadays, the fastest routers are able to
perofrm at approximately 275k pps rate.  With MLS properly
configured, you can increase that well beyond the 1Mpps rate.

Since the BCMSN course does not spend much time on IPX MLS, I
will attempt to cover a few of the basics.  First, there are
only *two* MLS modes (unlike the three available in IP MLS).
They are destination mode and destination-source mode.  If you
are not using any interior IPX access lists, you will run in
destination mode and performance will be very zippy.  OTOH, if
you have IPX access lists, you will kick into destination-
source mode for your MLS flows.  This has zero effect on
performance if you are using *outbound* IPX access lists.  If
you used inbound IPX access lists, then every single packet
will be routed :-(

You will need MLS capable switches with the approrpriate
hardware (CAT5k and 6k et al with NFFC) and an internal
RSM/RSFC or an extrnal MLS capable router.  The only other
restriction is that IPX accounting cannot work with MLS on, and
the transport control max value field must be set to a value
greater than 16 when using EIGRP for the routing protocol. Also
most of the fields in an IPX extended access list will likely
preclude the use of IPX MLS.

More to be found here (watch wrap):

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/
120newft/120t/120t5/ipxmls.htm#xtocid208561

HTH,

Paul Werner