Dear Group,

I am experiencing difficulty with implementing HSRP on a couple of 3640s. I
have set this up using configurations that have been working previously.
Both routers are connected to Nortel 10/100 autosensing switches (separate
but in the same stack). I have no VLANs or segmentation set up on the
switches. I have set up debugging on the standby on both routers. What I see
is only the outgoing hello packets. I do not see the incoming hello packets,
consequently both routers think the other is down and therefore takes up
the active router role. I have tried to do a multicast ping to 224.0.0.2
which I believe is the multicast group address that HSRP uses without
success.

I have attached the relevent bits of config below.

If anyone could shed any light on this curious problem I would be most
grateful.

Standby router

standby-router>#sh standby
Ethernet0/0 - Group 0
  Local state is Active, priority 100, may preempt, use bia
  Hellotime 3 holdtime 10
  Next hello sent in 00:00:02.556
  Hot standby IP address is 10.10.2.200 configured
  Active router is local
  Standby router is unknown expired
  Standby virtual mac address is 0010.7b44.cf41

interface Ethernet0/0
 ip address 10.10.2.209 255.0.0.0
 no ip redirects
 ip directed-broadcast
 standby use-bia
 standby priority 100
 standby preempt
 standby ip 10.10.2.200

Primary-router>#sh standby
Ethernet0/0 - Group 0
  Local state is Active, priority 200, may preempt, use bia
  Hellotime 3 holdtime 10
  Next hello sent in 00:00:01.338
  Hot standby IP address is 10.10.2.200 configured
  Active router is local
  Standby router is unknown expired
  Standby virtual mac address is 0030.947e.d480

interface Ethernet0/0
 description *** Local Area Network Segment ***
 ip address 172.31.72.200 255.255.255.0 secondary
 ip address 10.10.2.207 255.0.0.0
 no ip redirects
 ip directed-broadcast
 standby use-bia