From: Louie Belt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 1:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE:Drive, Determination... and financial resources!!!

I don't beleive that Cisco ever intended to make the CCIE cert easy to get
in any respect.  It takes extreme commitment and dedication to obtain this
elite cert - both in terms of time and financial resources. IMHO it's as it
should be.  Prior to becoming a CCIE, being a top level engineer creates a
demand for your services and therefore affords you the opportunities for
substantial increases in pay.  If you are merely average in your field,
these opportunities are not as readily available.  So if you are truly one
of the best in your field, you should then have the resources to create your
own lab and pursue the CCIE.  It is another method of weeding out those that
should not be wasting their time (or Cisco's) pursuing a cert they cannot
obtain.  While there are obviously exceptions to this (depending on
financial status and ability) it is a limiting factor that should be left in
place.

I have met over 20 people who "claimed" to be pursuing their CCIE. Most of
these did not have access to a decent lab and that was their excuse for not
succeeding.  I have offered to let these people use my lab, free of charge
to help them in their pursuit.  Only one of these people has ever logged on
to my lab more than once, and none are currently CCIE's.  This shows me that
the lack of a lab was the excuse, the real reason for failing, was a lack of
dedication.  I have also met 4 people who were pursuing their CCIE's and
built there own labs.  All 4 are now CCIE's.  As for my situation, I take
the lab Oct. 30th.

The CCIE cert is not for everyone.  It was never intended to be a
mass-market cert.  It requires extreme dedication and committment to
obtain - and part of that commitment is financial.  Most CCIE's will tell
you the best way to prepare for the CCIE Lab is to have your own home lab so
that you can work on scenarios in a non-production environment ad infinitum.
Constant contact with the product in every conceivable situation is the best
way to prepare for the exam - and coincidentally the best way to prepare for
the real world.  By the time you pass the lab, you been there, done that and
bought the T-shirt - and all will tell you it was a good investment.

LAB

http://www.groupstudy.com/list/Associate-Announcement.html