This might be a good time to post the advice that someone whom I admire
wrote after passing his lab.

--------------

Said Peter:

My preparation included the following:

Course: ACRC, CLSC, CIT, SNAM in that order.

Books read specifically for the lab: Cisco Certification from Bruce Caslow
for lab exam strategy.  Routing TCP/IP from Jeff Doyle for IGP theory.
Internet Routing Architectures from Bassam Halabi for BGP4.

Outside of the above, I often consult many of the books in the CCIE reading
list and own most of them.

I also read just about all of the 11.3 and 12.0 Guides on CCO.  These are
CRITICAL.  Not only do you need to possess a good understanding of the core
topics, insight into the structure and location of key items within the CCO
CD is essential for Lab success.

I also read a fair number of RFC's casually.

>From April until about August I read most nights and did general lab work on
the weekends.  During august to lab date (sept 30th), I spent as many hours
on a stack of 2500's as I could working through various configs.  I created
my own labs for myself with the help of some other CCIE's, but resources
like www.ccbootcamp.com should not be overlooked here.  Config confidence
and quickness are essential skills when your in the lab.

Thats pretty much my prep work overall.

As far as tips go, I'll list a few key items.  However, I very highly
reccommend Bruce Caslow's book for lab strategy.  I scored just below 90 and
was in a confortable position throughout the lab because of the the
strategies learned through this text.

Here are my tips.

Methodology:  As many have said before, read the questions and diagram your
network thoughtfully before you jump into the config.  I spent extra time
working on addressing matrices as well.  Speed is of the essense in the lab.
As you practise, develop this routine of diagraming, documenting and
performing.  From there, implement layer by layer.  Personally, I address
all my layer three very quickly, save and move onto the next router.  On my
second pass, I verify my ip addressing and add my IGP configs.  Regardless
of what works for you, you should have a process down cold.  The time you
save in nailing this aspect will allow you to verify and research later in
the day.

Technology:  Remember that the lab is 100 points.  With research, you will
quickly realize what the core topics are.  You simply must own these core
topics.  For example you should be able to configure a term server, 5-7
routers with traditional IGP's fully addressed and functional in well under
an
hour with all layer 2 technologies.  You should be dreaming these configs
and telling your significant other about them in your sleep because they are
so much top of mind.  Much of the 100 points will be attained through these
configs.  Count on the rest of those points coming from very odd topics.   I
could configure a large amount of wierd and useless stuff, but the lab was
100% in stumping me with stuff I'd never seen.  However, given the time I'd
bought myself by knowing the previous, I was able to research and implement
each of the items.  Given you can't know everything, its my recommendation
to have an idea where everything sits on the CD.  The search engine is crap
and it won't bail you out.  What will is having a recollection of where the
various
topics exist on the CD and being able to get there quickly.  Although I
don't advocate learning a lot of arcane stuff, I do advise trying to set
things up that you've never seen before using only the CD as a resource.  If
your confident you can handle wierd stuff, your much less likely to panic
when you see it on the lab.  And you'll see it on the lab :)

Generality:  Be calm.  Its intimidating but its doable.  The proctor is a
helpful, friendly and inspiring resource.  Your fellow exam mates are also a
good resource for that reality check.  If your standing there ready to go in
and the guy/girl beside you is wired, give them a kind word to calm them
down.

As this email is already too long, I'll cut it off there :)

Thanks again all.

Peter Van Oene, CCIE #5177

End of Peter's excellent advice