Hey folks!  Hats off to the list maintainers and to all the participants;
this is a terrific group.  Lots of good information!

This is a quick broadcast (ARP request?) to find out if there's anyone in
the Chicago area who'd be interested in getting together to talk networking
and Cisco stuff.  This could be anything from serious study to shooting the
breeze about the latest developments in networking technology.

I've been haunting the Internet for ten or eleven years now and spent a lot
of time at the outset learning all there was to learn about Unix systems and
TCP/IP.  Over the last three or four years I've gotten more involved with
Internet infrastructure as it exists beyond the end systems, which is how I
first found myself facing an enable-mode prompt on a Cisco 7500 series
router at the core of an ISP environment with no documentation in sight.  To
cut a long story very short, I learned how to configure the thing on the fly
and got addicted to IOS and high-speed networks in general.  My Internet and
Unix background combined with this new direction has gotten me involved with
the IETF more recently as well.

I haven't taken 640-507 yet, but expect to do so within the next couple of
weeks.  I'd like to do it soon so I can get on to the even more interesting
stuff!  So I'm open to talking about CCNA-level things, but by no means
limited to doing so.  Other areas I'm learning about now include:

    - ATM switching, LANE and LAN/WAN integration
    - VLANs and "Layer 3" switching
    - Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)
    - BGP and OSPF routing issues
    - Voice and multimedia over IP and ATM

If you're in Chicago (I'm in the Loop, myself) and think it could be useful,
or at least amusing, to get together and talk about (work with?) these or
any other similarly nifty network-related topics, please drop me an email
and we'll see what we can do.

Off to study...

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]