If you specify "username shmoe password 0 cisco"  you are telling the router
that an unencrypted password follows.

  If you want it to display the unencrypted password when you do a "sh run",
you need to use the "no service password-encryption" command.  Without it,
the router will encrypt the password.  Notice how when you did "username
shmoe password 0 cisco" your 0 tuned into a 7?  That is telling you what
follows is encrypted, and the router does that automatically.

By the same token, you tell the route "username user password 7 cisco"  it
now thinks that the ENCRYPTED password is cisco.  Who knows what the clear
text (unencrypted) password would be.  Be extremely careful when using this.
We had a sys-admin do this, and had to perform password recovery on it.

As for why the router is complaining about it being an unencrypted password
I couldn't answer, my 2503 is taking it just fine.

Let's walk through it and see if I can't confuse you more.

---
(output from 2503, IOS 11.2(11)P)
----
Ernie(config)#user shmoe password ?
  0     Specifies an UNENCRYPTED password will follow
  7     Specifies a HIDDEN password will follow
  LINE  The UNENCRYPTED (cleartext) user password
Ernie(config)#
Ernie(config)#user shmoe password 7 cisco
----
The sh run would look like:
----
version 11.2
!
service password-encryption
!
username shmoe password 7 cisco
----

Now, we'll put in "no service password-encryption" and remove and re-add our
user, but this time with a 0 in place of the 7.

----
Ernie(config)#no username shmoe
Ernie(config)#no service password-encryption
Ernie(config)#username shmoe password 0 cisco
Ernie(config)#end
Ernie#wr t
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 11.2
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Ernie
!
username shmoe password 0 cisco
----

The password is now clear text.  Here is the same output after adding in
"service password-encryption".

Current configuration:
!
version 11.2
service password-encryption
!
hostname Ernie
!
username shmoe password 7 1511021F0725

---

See?  The "password 0 cisco" turned into "password 7 1511021F0725".

Clear as mud!!

-----
Kristopher B. Climie, CCNP, CCDP