If you  look at RFC 2469 you can see that no matter how the bits are stored
in memory they go on the wire the same way. It is impossible to distinguish
a canonical formatted message from a non-canonical formatted message. Here
is the excerpt:

   Canonical form (also known as "LSB format" and "Ethernet format") is
   the name given to the format of a LAN adapter address as it should be
   presented to the user according to the 802 LAN standard.  It is best
   defined as how the bit order of an adapter address on the LAN media
   maps to the bit order of an adapter address in memory: The first bit
   of each byte that appears on the LAN maps to the least significant
   (i.e., right-most) bit of each byte in memory (the figure below
   illustrates this).  This puts the group address indicator (i.e., the
   bit that defines whether an address is unicast or multicast) in the
   least significant bit of the first byte.  Ethernet and 802.3 hardware
   behave consistently with this definition.

   Unfortunately, Token Ring (and some FDDI) hardware does not behave
   consistently with this definition; it maps the first bit of each byte
   of the adapter address to the most significant (i.e., left-most) bit
   of each byte in memory, which puts the group address indicator in the
   most significant bit of the first byte.  This mapping is variously
   called "MSB format", "IBM format", "Token-Ring format", and "non-
   canonical form".  The figure below illustrates the difference between
   canonical and non-canonical form using the canonical form address
   12-34-56-78-9A-BC as an example:

   In memory,      12       34       56       78       9A       BC
   canonical:   00010010 00110100 01010110 01111000 10011010 10111100

                1st bit appearing on LAN (group address indicator)

   On LAN:      01001000 00101100 01101010 00011110 01011001 00111101

   In memory,
   MSB format:  01001000 00101100 01101010 00011110 01011001 00111101
                   48       2C       6A       1E       59       3D

Notice that on the LAN they look exactly the same.
Neil

""Ejay Hire"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Roosevelt Giles, CCIE All-in-one P210-212.  In translational bridging, the
> Translation engine converts the format from Little-endian to big-endian.
> The multicast bit and the U/l bit are both part of the mac-address, and
are
> converted with the address, with no modification other than the Bit
> re-ordering.
>
> After Bit translation, the Frame length, Access Control, Routing
> Information... fields are added to the fram, and it is passed to the
Bridge