I don't think this is a valid argument.
I *think* that the LSA flooding process is unaffected by this parameter.  My
understanding is that the LSAs are still flooded straight away, but this
parameter determines how long before the router recalculates its own OSPF
routing table.
That means that the delay shouldn't be cumulative - the link state database on
each router gets updated regardless of the setting of the spf timers, but the
timers affect how fast the individual routers take note of the new information
in the database (so if several changes happen in quick succession, the router
only has to do the SPF calculation once).  If I've misunderstood any of this,
somebody please let me know.
I agree that you wouldn't want the spf timers to be significantly different, for
convergence reasons, but I can't see why a difference of a couple of seconds
would be a problem.  The hello timers etc have to match exactly, though, or
hello packets are dropped - OSPF won't function.

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 15/09/2000 03:26 pm

"Kristopher B. Climie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 15/09/2000 12:14:08 pm

Please respond to "Kristopher B. Climie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>