From: "Adrian Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 2900/3500XL Cluster Config STP
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 23:37:46 -0400

Curious question - anyone knows if a clustered stack of 2900/3500s will
appear as a single STP bridge to other switches or each cluster switch
appears as a seperate bridge?  I'm guessing each switch is treated as a
seperate bridge entity for the purposes of STP.

The cause of concern would be if one stacks 16 3500s using Gigastack
connectors into a cluster, and use the remaining Gig port on the top and
bottom switches as uplinks, you'd end up with a pretty large STP diameter
caused by the stacking...  assuming the cluster is split right down the
middle with a port between switches 8 and 9 in blocking state, the maximum
diameter would be 17? (the 8 switches on either side plus the
distribution/core switch the stack connects to).  If one tunes STP
accordingly, it would lengthen the network outages during STP convergence.

Any thoughts on this - and designs with stacks of 2900s/3500s that are
stringed one to another rather than each uplinked seperately to the uplink
switch?

Regards,
Adrian

http://profiles.msn.com.