Subject: Connect to Catalyst WS-C1900 console

> Want to connect to 1900 console from DB-9 serial port (hyper
term should
> be
> OK, it can access the other routers), use DB-9 to DB-9 null
cable
> (cross).
> But can't get connection.

I once came across an early generation CAT 1900 that had a
similar problem.  Here is a quick sanity check item to do.  Go
ahead and get a known working cable that can read the console
line on a router.  Once you have verified that this is good,
put the same cable on the switch (unless it is an old style DB-
9 console connection), and hold in the mode button and see if
you can get the diagnostic console.  If you can, press the menu
choices that will boot the switch.  If it starts to boot and
then it hangs, that is a sure sign that you will need
that "special" console cable that came from Cisco.  The best
recommendation is to find the part number for Cisco's cable and
order it from a VAR.

HTH,

Paul Werner