Rajagopal,

I've worked in the telecom field for many years and DCE and DTE can be very confusing.
  DCE and DTE primarily depends upon your point of perspective.  If you have a modem,
CSU or DSU that generate clock to a particular piece of equipment, they are all called
a DCE device.  The piece of equipment receiving the clock is called a DTE device.  Now
let me confuse you.  If that piece of equipment passes the clock to another device,
that interface on that piece of equipment is DCE while the device receiving the clock
is called  DTE.  For example;  CSU provides T1 clock to a multiplexer and the
multiplexer provides clock to 24 external channel devices.  The CSU is a DCE device.
The multiplexer interface receiving the clock is a DTE device.  The 24 multiplexer
interfaces providing clock to the external channels are DCE interfaces while the
external channel devices that receive the clock are DTE interfaces.  You can daisy
chain this out to as many devices as you want but you get the p!
icture.  I hope this helps.

MIke

>>> "Rajagopal Iyengar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 09/18 11:57 PM >>>
Hello Group,
My Name is Rajgopal and I am based in Bombay,India.I have a question for you
guys.
I have read in the CCNA 2.0 Exam Certification guide by Wendell Odom that a
DTE is the equipment that receives the Clocking information from a DCE which
is the device that sends the clocking information for sync Links and at the
same time he also says that a serial line comming from the ISP is connected
to a CSU/DSU which in turn is connected to your serial port in the router
and the CSU/DSU is the device which gives the clocking information for the
sync links.
Whereas the ICRC book says that by default the Cisco router is a DTE
equipment and the minute we implement the clocking command on a particular
serial interface then it becomes a DCE device.
Correct me if I am wrong but for the clocking command to work on the
enterprise side we have to enable the clocking command.Then does that
interface become a DCE ??And if it becomes a DCE then doesn't it defy the
rule that a DTE is connected to a DCE ??
The ICRC book also says that in case if you don't have a CSU/DSU u have to
use a back to back cable to connect the 2 routers and the interface on which
u implement the clocking command becomes a DCE interface.But don't u think
that its the ISP which gives u the clocking information??

Please enlighten me on this subject as soon as possible because I have my
CCNA exam on the 21st of Sept,2000 and I would like to be clear on as many
concepts as possible.

Many thanks and please help me out.

Regards,
Raj.

P.s U can email me on the above mentioned address.

http://profiles.msn.com.