A demilitarized zone (DMZ) is to protect your publicly reachable servers behind
the firewall. The difference between the more common scenario with two
interfaces and the DMZ, where you use three interfaces, is that the third
interface is a separate segment to which you connect your publicly reachable
servers. This includes for example your web server, mail server, dns and
others.

You can set up light filtering to your DMZ interface in addition to a more
rigorous filtering to the private interface. A DMZ will typically have -

- a public interface, which connects to an ISP
- a private interface, which connects to your Internal LAN
- a DMZ interface, which connects to a separate segment where your publicly
reachable servers are.

Regards
William Kelly