From: Bob Vance
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 12:00 AM
To: clst
Cc: Benny Leong (HTHK - Senior Engineer II - iServices Development,
NNSD)
Subject: RE: Zone Delegation/Reverse Delegation

If the ISP is authoritative for "bar.com", then you cannot create the
sub-domain "foo.bar.com".  The administrator of whichever system is
authoritative for "bar.com" would create it and delegate authority for
it to your local DNS host.

>I don't understand why the DNS delegation is done by ISP but the
>reverse delegation is done by APNIC.

That's just the way delegation works.  Only the authority for a
domain can create a sub-domain of that domain (reverse domains are
valid domains just like "forward" ones are) and then, possibly,
delegate authority for it to some other nameserver.

Perhaps looking at the details will help:

I am "ns1.bar.com" and am the primary (the source data files for the
zone are most likely on me) nameserver for bar.com.
Here is the data for bar.com (the authority for this zone was delegated
to me by the authority for ".com"):

$ORIGIN bar.com.
@    IN SOA ......
     IN NS ns1.bar.com.     ; these records match
     IN NS ns.xyz.isp.com.  ; the records in .com
ns1  IN A  206.222.111.11   ; that delegate bar.com to me
www  IN A  206.222.111.17
ftp  IN A  206.222.111.18
$ORIGIN foo.bar.com.          ; here is a sub-domain that I create
pluto   IN A  206.222.166.31  ; but I'm still the authority for it
goofy   IN A  206.222.166.31  ; so I create the records and maintain
donald  IN A  206.222.166.31  ; the zone data for it

At some point there are just too many hosts and too much work to
maintain the sub-domain data, so I decide to *delegate* authority
to another server in our company and let them do the work.

The sub-domain data changes thusly:

$ORIGIN foo.bar.com.          ; here is a sub-domain that I create
        IN NS pluto           ; but "pluto" will be the authority for it
pluto   IN A  206.222.166.31  ;  the appearance of the NS record is the
                              ; delegation and this is known as a
                              ; "zone cut"

Now, "pluto" can be the primary nameserver for foo.bar.com and have zone
data for it.

OK.
The *same* hold true for the reverse delegation.
If "ns1.bar.com" is to be authoritative for
    111.222.206.in-addr.arpa
then whoever is authoritative for
    222.206.in-addr.arpa
would have a zone cut at
    111.222.206.in-addr.arpa
and delegate authority for it to "ns1.bar.com"

$ORIGIN 111.222.206.in-addr.arpa   ; here is the sub-domain
        IN NS ns1.bar.com          ; and I'm now the authority

Normally, you ISP would be authoritative for 111.222.206.in-addr.arpa,
but maybe not.  In any case, only that authority can delegate
authority for 111.222.206.in-addr.arpa to you.

Talk to your ISP about this -- they should be able to tell you whom to
contact to get the reverse sub-domain delegated to you.

Tks        | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
BV         | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Tech. Consultant,   SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511