I believe we have had this discussion in a slightly different form in the
past. There have been numerous problems with NIC's of all sort, full duplex,
half duplex, auto-negotiate, etc and their ability to connect to Cisco
switches. I believe that most of these problems have been corrected with
either newer NIC's or NIC driver upgrades.

I myself have run Windows NT servers full duplex dating back to NT 3.51,
both on Compaq servers and on Dell PC's  with NT server installed over the
original OS.

Having run into mistaken beliefs along these lines in several places, and
coming from folks with impeccable credentials, and having acted this way
myself at times,  I tend to believe that most of us in general learn
something from experience, file it away, and never revisit it. That's why
you will read in some places that IGRP has a max diameter of 100 hops, why
you should never use weighted fair queueing with frame relay, and why 3Com
3C509 NIC's will not function when plugged into a Cisco Cat 5000 switch. All
of these things were true at one time, or under certain circumstances. They
are no longer true.

The statement in the book is not correct in and of itself. But one needs be
aware that with older NIC's, and older NIC drivers, that there have been
problems with Cisco switches.

And yes I point to Cisco in particular, because in my case, the 3Com 3C509's
worked just fine in an HP switch ( the one OEM'd by Kalperna - HP2916? -
which eventually was bought by Cisco ) but did not work at all in a Cisco
Cat 5000. On the other hand, 3Com 3C905's worked just fine in the Cat. So I
labored for a couple of years under the assumption that the 3C509 did not
work. I am told that it does now, using recent drivers.

Chuck