The prefix "inter" means 'between', and "intra" means 'within' - such as
interstate and intrastate, or internet and intranet.

An _inter_-area route travels between OSPF areas, from one to another - i.e.
from other areas in your OSPF AS into your area - and describes a
destination within your OSPF AS but outside of your particular area.

An _intra_-area route comes from within whatever area you're talking about -
meaning you got it from another router within the same area you're in area
and it describes a destination within that area.

An external route is one that comes from outside of your OSPF AS, such as
from the redistribution of another protocol.

Any routes that come from outside your OSPF AS, are external routes and are
not carried into a stub area. A default route is used as necessary to reach
the external destinations.

In addition to not wanting external routes, a totally stubby area doesn't
want any inter-area routes either. It only carries _intra_-area routes and
default routes out of the area.

To confuse matters further, a not-so-stubby area, IIRC, flips a regular stub
area on its head by accepting external routes but not inter-area routes.

---JRE---

8qqk28$68t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8qqk28$68t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...