On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Gem wrote:

> I have two questions about Spanning tree algorithm,
> 1. How to transmit BPDUs? use Broadcast or Multicast or Unicast?
> 2. Are Root bridge and Designated bridge the same or different one(s)
>    in multiple bridges LAN?

Hello Gem,

1) They transmit using multicast address addigned to "all bridges on the
lan" on multicast-enabled LANs; for 802.5 a special functional address is
used..

2) Oops.. the root bridge is only one (like the Highlander) in the
spanning tree; but there is a designated bridge for every lan in the
spanning tree..
I recommend you to read Radia Perlman's book (Interconnections), it is
relly good..

Hope this helps,
 Saverio