Folks,

A few days ago, someone mentioned that there might be an issue when you
try to connect cisco and noncisco switches together via GBIC.  Can anyone
verify this, and give some details?  I'm expecting to connect some HP
ProCurve switches and Catalysts together via gig over fiber real soon now,
GBIC on the Cat, HP's Fiber gig module on the HP, and want to know what
to expect.

Also, can anyone explain what the LX conditioning cables do?  Best I can
tell, they consist of a singlemode and a multimode strand, fusion spliced
together.  The singlemode end goes into the GBIC, the multimode end into
your MM fiber plant.  I suppose that you end up sending a singlemode
wavelength down a multimode fiber?  I also suppose that this means lasers
in the GBIC, so no looking at the pretty lights to verify TX like you can
with MM.

Ben

--
Ben Hockenhull