I am working mostly with Cisco 2600 routers and was considering using ACLs
to add more security.  The network I administer has a firewall behind an
access router connected to the Internet.  I am thinking about ACLs such as:
Allowing ICMP only from subnets our few other locations are on (so I can
troubleshoot between offices)
Same for Telnet access to VTY.

Does anybody have suggestions for or against this?  I know adding ACLs will
increase the load on the routers but when will performance suffer
significantly?  Currently the processor averages about 15%.

Any other suggestions or resources for tightening security would be
appreciated.