At 04:04 PM 9/29/00, RAUNIYAR RAJEEV wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>now i DO have a question. i'm reading up about ports used by TCP/UDP
>protocols but im having trouble visualizing where the source port and
>destination ports fit in. im thinking that the destination port (suppose
>on a www, http segment) of 80, would be on the server from which we will
>download the data right? and we would specify a port (called source
>port) to which we want the data to come into our machine right?
>but then how would the www server distinguish between many sessions if
>their port is always port 80??

You answered your own question. Sessions are distinguishable from each
other because they have different source ports. 80 is a well-known port
that clients use to get to Web servers. The client uses what is known as an
ephemeral port -- a port number that the software makes up for the current
session. It is a high number that won't conflict with a well-known port.

Priscilla