Hi Martin, Hi Group,

The preamble does not count to the length of the frame. Between the source
MAC adress and the data field there is a 2 byte typecode field in Ethernet
v2 (Arpa). In Ethernet IEEE 802.3 there is the 2 byte length field instead
of the type field.

Ethernet v2 (ARPA) Frameformat:

DA: 6 octets
SA: 6 octets
Type: 2 octets
Payload(Data): up to 1500 octets
Frame Check Sequence (FCS): 4 octets

sum: 1518 octets

greetings,

Reinhold

--
Reinhold Fischer                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CCNP/SunCSA/HP Certified Consultant for Network Management