HI all,

That has helped me visualized the whole port concept a lot better now. I
now understand how a local application chooses ats source port
etc... however I still dont know how a local network can close some of its
OWN port and effectively block entrance to a remote network/server.

I gave an example of colleges blocking Napster. Suppose Napter keeps a
well-known port open... maybe 80. all you have to do to log in is teh
specify the destination port of 80 and bingo, you're in. the source port
is randomly picked from teh lists of ephemeral ports you have
available. to in theory, a college cannot block access to a remote server
without blocking ALL remote access (closing all out-going ports). i know
that im wrong somewhere, since that HAS been done before. i just need you
to explain to me which part have i misunderstood.

thanks for the long reply, btw. it really did help me clear up a lot of
things.

Joe

      *       RAJEEV RAUNIYAR,CCNA, CATM            *
      *       SYSTEMS TEST  ENGINEER                *
      *       lUCENT TECHNOLOGIES                   *
      *       OFFICE 203-7416909                    *
      *       HOME   203-3356149                    *
      *       PAGER  1888-6818617                   *
      *       EMAIL  [EMAIL PROTECTED]            *
      *       EMAIL  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             *