I finally got it.  It helps if you draw a picture of what is happening.
Below is a message from Eric McMasters author of Routing Exam Cram.  He
summarized it for me.  I hope this helps someone.  BTW, 100% positive some
part of this will show on the test.  Thanks again Eric!!!

Look at it as a big picture.  First you have your AS.  Within this AS you
have multiple areas.  Your intra-area routes are routes that are only passed
within a single area.  Intra-area routes (LSA's 1 and 2) are the only routes
that are allowed in a totally stubby area.  To gain access outside of the
area in a totally stubby setup routers have to use a default route from the
ABR.  Intra-area routes do not go beyond the boundaries of the area itself.
Inter-area routes (LSA's 3 and 4) advertise routes outside of the area.
This allows a router in area 1 to know about a route in area 4.  These
inter-area routes do not go beyond the boundaries of the AS.  Now your
external routes (LSA 5) are routes that come from an external AS or another
protocol that is being redistributed into OSPF.  These routes are propagated
across the entire network unless a stub, totally stub, or nssa are
configured.  If this is the case the type 5 LSA's are stopped at the ABR.
Even by creating a "redistribute static subnets" or a "redistribute
connected" command under the OSPF process these routes will be treated as
External routes (Type 5 LSA's) and will be propagated across the entire
network.  Now for a brief breakdown of the stub, totally stubby, and nssa
areas and how they operate.

With a stub area you are allowing inter and intra area routes (Type 1-4
LSA's).  This will allow a router to know of a specific route in another
area along with specific routes in his own area.  These are good because it
blocks Type 5 LSA's at the ABR, which are always flooded across a network.
For a router to gain access to route via another process or a route that is
being redistributed it will need to use a default route that is provided by
the ABR.

With a totally stubby area you are limiting the types of routes that are
propagating the area.  In this case you are only allowing intra-area routes
(Types 1-2 LSA's).  This is means that routers only know of routes within
their specific area.  If they need to get to another area they will have to
use the default route that is provided by the ABR.

Now the most confusing is the NSSA or Not-So-Stubby-Area.  According to the
rules of OSPF an area can not be a stub or totally stub area if a router in
that area is an ASBR (Autonomous System Boundary Router).  An ASBR is a
router that connects two different AS's or a router that is "redistributing"
anything under the OSPF process.  You have the option of creating a NSSA,
which is similar in function to a stub area in that it allows Type 1-4
LSA's, but it converts the Type 5 LSA's that are being created by the ASBR
into Type 7 LSA's.  The Type 7 LSA's are converted back to Type 5's at the
ABR.  The other option is to create a totally NSSA which is similar to the
totally stubby area, but only allows Type 1-2, and 7 LSA's.

I know that this is probably more that what you were looking for as far as
an answer to your question, but knowing which LSA's are used for what makes
the whole OSPF process easier to understand.  For more on LSA's and OSPF in
general I would recommend that you go to the Cisco website and do a search
on "OSPF Design Guide".  This design guide has some very useful information
and can help in understanding OSPF operation.  You can also do a search on
"OSPF LSA types" and find out more on the OSPF LSA operation and functions.
Hope that I didn't overload you and that you found some of this information
useful.  Thanks.