On 6 Oct 2000 20:34:41 -0400, emirates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:I have one 3524 with 2 GBIC and one 2924 with 2 100baseFX ports. I can't
:able to connect both switches using fiber. I couldn't identify the
:problem yet. Any suggestion/help will hightly appreciated !!

GBICs are gigabit (1000 megabit per second), and 100base FX are 100
megabit per second.  They won't interoperate.

Your options are:

If the 2924 has a GBIC slot, install a GBIC in it for gigabit speed.

Connect the two switches with copper at 100 Mbit.  You can use multiple
ports and Fast etherchannel to increase throughput.  this is not recommended
if the switches are in different buildings or fed from different electric
power service.

Purchase a media converter for the 3524 end, use a 100base TX switch port
and convert to 100base FX.  This gives 100 megabit performance over fiber.

[HTML goo snipped to save electrons]

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/