ML

I would set up a modem with access to the console port.  The AUX port is
good, but what if you damage you configuration?  What if you need to break a
password?  There are security reasons why you may not want to do this, but
if you take the necessary precautions, you should be fine.  The following
links to the Cisco Web site should provide you with all of the information
that you need.

I also use a specific MultiTech modem that is designed to be connected to
Cisco routers.  The proper initialization strings are burned is as default
settings.  That way, the modem never looses its initialization strings.  If
it does, the modem is broken, and you replace it with a new one.

Here is a great excerpt from one of those links.

Console Port Issues
There are several advantages to connecting a modem to the console port of a
router instead of the AUX port; however, the disadvantages are significant.
  Advantages of connecting a modem on the console port:
    a.. Passwords can be recovered remotely. You may still need someone
on-site with the router to toggle the power, but aside from that, it's
identical to being there with the router.
    b.. It is a convenient method of attaching a second modem to a router
without async ports. This is beneficial if you need to access the router for
configuration or management while leaving the AUX port free for
dial-on-demand routing (DDR).
    c.. Some routers (for example, Cisco 1600s) do not have AUX ports. If
you want to connect a modem to the router and leave the serial port(s) free
for other connections, the console is the only option.

  Disadvantages of connecting a modem on the console port:
    a.. The console port does not support RS232 modem control (data set
ready/Data Carrier Detect (DSR/DCD), data terminal ready (DTR). Therefore,
when the EXEC session terminates (logout), the modem connection will not
drop automatically; the user will need to manually disconnect the session.
    b.. More seriously, if the modem connection should drop, the EXEC
session will not automatically reset. This can present a security hole, in
that a subsequent call into that modem will be able to access the console
without entering a password. The hole can be made smaller by setting a tight
exec-timeout on the line. However, if security is important, it is
recommended to use a modem that can provide a password prompt.
    c.. Unlike other async lines, the console port does not support hardware
(Clear to Send/Ready to Send (CTS/RTS) flow control. It is recommended to
use no flow control. If data overruns are encountered, however, software
(XON/XOFF) flow control may be enabled.
    d.. The console ports on most systems only support speeds of up to 9600
bps.
    e.. The console port lacks reverse telnet capability. If the modem loses
its stored initialization string, the only remedy is to physically
disconnect the modem from the router and attach it to another device (such
as an AUX port or a PC) to reinitialize. If a modem on an AUX port loses its
initialization string, you can use reverse telnet remotely to correct the
problem.
    f.. A console port cannot be used for dial-on-demand routing; it has no
corresponding async interface.

Sincerely,

Daniel

8rvf1v$oc3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8rvf1v$oc3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...