Andy,
You might want to add the following from the global config prompt:

line 1 8
stopbits 1 "some async models have default of stopbits=2"
flow hard  "I've had better success with this"
exit "to get back to global config mode"
int loopback0 "used for reverse telnet sessions"
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0  "assign an ip not used in your labs"
exit "to get back to global config mode"
ip host r1 2001 192.168.1.1 "insert one entry for each device attached"
ip host r2 2002 192.168.1.1 "r1 and r2 are arbitrary names"
ip host r2 2003 192.168.1.1 "200X represents the tcp port used for each async port"
end "to get out of config mode"

commands to use the terminal server:
telnet r1 "to initiate a reverse telnet session"
<cntrl><shift>+6 "to return to terminal server prompt"
resume r1 "to return to r1 session"

other commands at  the terminal server that help:
show line
show sessions
disconnect XX   "i.e. r1"
clear line tty X  "X=line number"

Good Luck,
Peter Diffin CCNP w/VA, CCIE written, MCNE, MCSE, NNCSS