The LS100 will be able to do the ATM basics such as CLIP (ATM Classical IP)
and LANE (ATM LAN Emulation).

The LS1010 will enable you to do newer features such as MPOA, CES, ATM QOS,
etc.

Current Cisco CCIE website still states actual configuration of the ATM
switch is not required for the R/S exam.  I'm not sure if the content is
beyond CLIP/LANE and contains the newer technologies.  A lot of the rental
sites (if not all) don't seem to have any MPOA capable equipment so I would
guess it hasn't reached the point that its a do or die.

Also, most LS1010s I've seen used cost at least twice what it takes to do
the CATM couse so attending a course might be a better choice to gain the
necessary hands-on.

Regards,
Adrian