> Here's what all these big words mean: It's a distance vector
algorithm.
> &;-) Nothing in there implies it's a link-state protocol.

Well yes, you are correct.  I guess I (or Dr. Garcia-Luna-
Aceves) was not totally clear on this matter.  In his published
article on, "Distributed, Scalable Routing Based on Vectors
of Link States", he stated the following in a much clearer
manner:

I. Introduction

An internetwork consists of a collection of interconnected
domains, where each domain is a collection of such resources as
networks, routers, and hosts, under the control of a single
administration. All the work in inter-domain and intra-domain
routing has proceeded in two main directions: distance-vector
protocols (e.g., BGP [19], IDRP [16], RIP [12], EIGRP [1]) in
which routers exchange vectors of distances of preferred paths
to known destinations, and link-state protocols (e.g., the
inter-domain policy routing (IDPR) architecture [6], ISO IS-IS
[15] and OSPF [21]) in which routers replicate topology
information with which they compute their preferred paths.

Given that Herr Docktor Garcia-Luna-Aceves is the author of the
main components of EIGRP, I guess he has the final word, which
is that it is indeed a DV protocol :-)

HTH,

Paul Werner