We recently deployed an IPSec VPN solution using Cylink's NetHawk hardware.
We went with NetHawk because according to Tolly it does 3DES encryption @
wire speed. Anyway, the problem is that when we leave the MTU on the gateway
router at the  default 1500, e-mail attachments make it through the NetHawk
VPN box. However when we reduce the MTU to 200, the e-mai attachments do not
make it through the VPN box  ALTHOUGH the e-mail itself makes it through.
But, the attachment gets detached in transit.
Below is our current configuration--

R2----------NH VPN 2------H2

H1 & H2 are hosts exchanging e-mail,
S is a switch
NH VPN1 & 2 are NetHawk VPN boxes on either side of the Internet
R1 & R2 are routers on either side of the Internet.

Perhaps, a moe general queston flowing from this is what (if any) are the MTU
or PMTU related issues within a VPN solution.

Thanks.

/fola/