At 04:54 PM 10/16/00, sniffer wrote:
>hi,
>I have a question about the AppleTalk protocol suite that is how does the
>AppleTalk do to acquire the socket number of the destination and fill it in
>the "destination socket" field.

Socket numbers 1-127 are statically assigned. For example, RTMP uses 1, ZIP
uses 6, etc. These are just like well-known port numbers in TCP and UDP.

An application could also request that DDP provide a dynamically-assigned
socket. The application also registers its dynamically-assigned socket with
the Name Binding Protocol. Users of the application find services by name
then. The gory details are more than you will have to know for CCIE, but if
you're really interested, read the book "Inside AppleTalk."

>And what is your reference on AppleTalk who wants to pass the CCIE
>examination.

See my AppleTalk white paper at http://www.certificationzone.com.

HTH

Priscilla