Title: Access-list and switching

Hi, group.
Is there a way to implement access-list type of security on Catalyst 2924?
I know that to do Layer -3 switching will need at least the 4000 series.
Short of implementing a VLAN, is there a way I can tell the port or switch to allow only certain IP address to go to certain servers connected to a specific

switch in the intranet? I would think that this is possible considering that these
switches are assigned an IP address.
NOTE: the CLSC book actually mentions that "LAN switches may use custom filters to provide access control based on source/destination address, protocol type packet length..."

Please someone tell me what I'm missing.

Sincere thanks to the forum.
Elmer