On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 11:34:19AM -0400, Chuck Church wrote:
> All,
>
>      My coworker is playing with Red Hat Linux, but he can't find the Linux
> command or application for terminal emulation though the serial port, much
> like HyperTerminal.  Does such a thing exist, or can anyone recommend an
> equivalent?

Chuck,

Terminal emulation at the user level under Linux (and under Unix systems
in general) is most often accomplished by the console driver, or in an
application like xterm (if you're using X).  The primary databases for
describing terminal capabilities are the /etc/termcap file and the
terminfo hierarchy (/usr/share/terminfo under Linux).  See the system
manual pages on termcap and terminfo, and the manual pages for stty
termios if you want the gory details.

As far as programs for serial port access go, the simplest and most
flexible utility is probably C-Kermit.  This program is readily available
(for free) on the net and compiles under virtually any flavor of Unix.
Drop me an email if you need any help finding it.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]