Steven,
I'm assuming you're using a 2511RJ series.  If that's the case, then
you're lucky.  Just plug a straight-through cat5 cable from the 16 async
ports on the 2511 to your routers or switches console port.  Then on your
2511, setup a loopback interface, giving it an ip like 1.1.1.1/32.  So for
example if your switch's console port is attached to the first port on
your 2511, you can access the console of your switch from the 2511 by
typing "telnet 1.1.1.1 2001".  If you have multiple sessions, you can
switch screens by breaking out "Control-Shift-F6 x" and then type another
session number to get into that session.

If you still have problems, feel free to call me up during business
hours..  I can walk you through. :-)

Cheers,

Frank Kim, MCSE, CCNA
Comegetus Technologies