From: Brian Lodwick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 5:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Certifications no good?

Don't read.  Probobaly a waste of time   -venting. Sorry for wasting your
bandwidth Paul.

Controversial?    ~~~Probobaly.

I have seen so many messages degrading certifications and talked to so many
people who have no respect for those who have achieved certifications. I can

almost understand where they are coming from when the person has no
experience, but the fact still stands that this person has studied and been
held accountable for the information.
   I believe that certifications are by no means the definitive answer to
weather someone is good at something. the problem I have is those who
degrade certifications.
   I believe there is a controversy over if certification is any indication
weather you know what you are doing. I will only say this, certification
says that one day after studying you felt you were ready to be tested on all

of the information covered in the exam objectives. It doesn't mean that you
had heard something about that one time or another, or that you can BS about

it. It means you know it. The bad thing is that it doesn't say that you have

done it a thousand times and are experienced at doing it (except CCIE).
   I have met quite a few people who have a bunch of experience, but then
one day something different like HSRP comes along and they don't have a
clue. Let's say in that same instance the guy with less experience, but
reads the books for certs starts in checking virtual IP addresses, virtal
MAC addresses and questions vlans for load balancing. Does that make
experience worthless?
  To truly be an ACE at this networking stuff I believe there must be a
balance. Too much book study with out enough application is not so good.
and too much experience without enough book study is not so good. This field

is going to get more competitive like it or not and technology changes fast.
  Enough already.