From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Aaron
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 2:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: a MAC Address Question

Hi, everyone!

I have a question about the MAC layer address, and I use the Ethernet for
making an example.

We all know that the first 3 bytes of the 48-bit MAC address are indicate
the vendor. Among the 3 bytes, the first is important, because the first 2-
bit in this byte has special meanings that are I/G bit and U/L bit.

I have a question about the following whether it is right:
when we get a MAC address, such as  0030.b6f7.3000 (Cisco),
1. Whether the I/G and U/L bit are already set to zero?
2. When a multicast packet shoud be sent to this address, the destination
address in the MAC packet header should be set to 0130.b6f7.3000?

Thank you for your help and there may be some understanding errors in the
questions.

thank you very much!