If I have 2 segments each connecting to a Catalyst 5000 (via GBIC fiber) in the core, do I need a router? The more I think about this, the more confused I get. Should I put in a couple of 4908G-L3 in the core? I guess I don't understand when I have to and when I don't have to use a router when connecting seperate subnets through (or using) a layer 3 switch. I understand what a layer 3 switch is, but I am confused on when I really need to use one. If I was to subnet a class B address in to 8 subnets, would I use a layer 3 switch, like a 4908G-L3 or a bunch of routers? I thought in a proper Cisco design, layer3 activities should be done at the distibution layer and not in the backbone. Thanks for thoughts and posts.

--2948G-L3-----[192.168.100.x]--------CAT5000 (core)--------[192.168.200.x]------2948G-L3--