From: Jennifer Mellone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 4:59 AM
Subject: BSCN/Routing 2.0: Here's the Gouge...

> I'm debriefing myself within hours of passing this
test (my first
CCNP
> test), so the information I share is fresh in my
head.  I hope it
helps
some
> folks out there.
>
> The Breakdown:
> 61 questions, 75 minutes, need 690 (on a scale of
300-100) to pass.
> It took me 1 hour, and I'm a slow test taker.
>
> Section Analysis:
> Routing Principles (not so many questions)
> Extending IP Addresses (not so many questions)
> Configuring OSPF in a Single Area (tons of
questions)
> Interconnecting Multiple OSPF Areas (alot of
questions)
> Configuring EIGRP (not so many questions)
> Configuring Basic Border Gateway Protocol (tons of
questions)
> Implementing BGP in Scalable Networks (not so many
questions)
> Optimizing Routing Update Operation (a few
questions)
> Implementing Scalability Features in Your
Internetwork (a few
questions)

> Types of Questions:
> 1) Theory, and lots of it, where you have to pick
the best 2 or 3 of
the
> bunch
> 2) Here's the config, and what does it mean, what
does it do
> 3) Which config. accomplishes the following xxx
> 4) What command do you use to do xxx, and you select
from a huge list
in
the
> exhibit; know if you're in global mode, interface
mode, etc.
> 5) Drag & drop "matching" style
> 6) Summarization related
> 7) Apply the theory you know to some situation, such
as interpreting
show
> command outputs
>
> Key Concepts to Study (theory and implementation):
> Distance Vector/Link State, How BGP/OSPF/EIGRP work
(e.g., updates,
hellos,
> opens), ip helpers, OSPF LSAs, Summarizing, BGP
route selection
criteria,
> route reflector, next hop, prefix list, policy
routing,
redistribution
(for
> BGP/OSPF/EIGRP), basic show commands
>
> Resources:
> 1. If you have the BSCN course material, that's
great.  Or buy Cisco
Press
> BSCN book when it comes out.  These are bread and
butter for the test
and
> keep you focused on what you need to know for the
test, rather than
having
> to dig around multiple sources (I hate that).
> 2. Supplemental resources to further explain things
that you don't
fully
> understand from the above are Doyle's TCP/IP Cisco
Press book, ACRC
Cisco
> Press book, Halabi's Internet Routing Architectures
Cisco Press book,
and
> Thomas's OSPF Cisco Press book (to view the show
command screen
outputs).
> basically used these for reference, not for reading
cover to cover.

> Practice Tests (do after you think you're done
studying for the
test):
> 1. Boson (I bought test 3, which has some lu lu's on
there,
especially
quiz
> D.  Each of 4 quizzes in test 3 had 51 questions, so
test 3 had 204
total
> questions.  Some questions stressed the same stuff
over and over, but
that's
> ok so I can retain and take each quiz just once.
Test 1, 2, or 3 can
be
http://www.boson.com/)
> 2. Free CCO/Colt (strange wording that will deflate
your confidence
if you
> use that as a basis for your understanding, plus
they don't give you
the
> answers; they just tell you which questions you
answered wrong)

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/front.x/wwtraining/colt/ColtLogin.pl

> Misc. Tips:  There is no such thing as too much
studying!  The
questions
> really make you think and apply what you learned;
very few questions
are
> simply recalling things by rote (those of course,
are the easy ones).
Close
> the books by 10pm the night before the test and
watch ER :-)

> I'll post to the list as I continue the road to
CCNP.