Groupstudy,

I received a few responses to the challenge.  Most of you probably thought
you knew it and passed it by.

Surprise.  The answer is D, not A as every person who e-mailed me guessed.
I should note that a few people did recognize that there was a trick, but
still guessed A.

Here's the scoop.  conf-reg expects a hex value.  In the question below, I
assigned a decimal value.
2102=0x836.  So, in essence, I actually ran the command:
router(config)#config-register 0x836

If you investigate the bit details of the config-register command, you'll
find that bits 12 and 11 (counting from 0 from the right) specify the
console port speed.

Normally, when the config register is set to 0x2102, the port speed is 9600
(view this in a fixed width font, if possible - hopefully the tabs will
line up)

hex       2         1         0          2
binary    0010      0001      0000       0010
             |      |
     bits 12 and 11 (counting from 0 from the right) set to 00, which is
9600 bps

But, decimal 2102, or hex 0x836, changes the port speed to 4800
hex       0         8         3          6
binary    0000      1000      0011       0110
             |      |
     bits 12 and 11 (counting from 0 from the right) set to 01, which is
4800 bps

Those two bits have the following values:
9600 0 0
4800 0 1
1200 1 0
2400 1 1

for reference on the config-register command, see
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/8540/cnfg_gd/ccfg8540.htm
(this link is for the 8540, but is applicable to the standard conf-reg)

Let me know if you have any questions

Matthew C. Sypherd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CCNP+Security CCDP CCSE MCSE