Stan,

Without seeing configs it's a little hard to diagnose, but two things come
to mind.  Preempt on HSRP.  Are you using it?  Second, it sounds like you
have layer two redunancy, so spanning tree should have a link in Blocking
mode.  When you test a failure, this link will start forwarding (how quickly
depends on a few things) so your HSRP may flap back and forth until things
settle down(converge).  You need to use HSRP "track" to force the priorities
to be correct in a failed state.  You may also need to tweek the HSRP
timers.

I'm about to embark on a very large implementation just like you describe.
I pray it goes smoothly.

Rodgers Moore

""Rossetti, Stan"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me if they have seen this problem before or have any
> suggestions.
>
> Scenario:
>
> We have 2 6509 switches with msfc cards in each on the 1st floor and 4th
> floor of a building.  We have redundant links between the switches and
each
> switch has redundant sup 1 cards with the msfc blades.  We also have  2
more
> 6509 switches on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the same building.  The first
> floor switch is connected to the outside world through a 7206 router.
There
> are multiple vlan across each switch that are connected to the user
through
> several 3500 series switches on each floor.  When we first turned HSRP on,
> the msfc1 vlans did not come up.  We get Cisco online and they said we had
> bad msfc card.  So we switched over to the redundant msfc card (msfc2).
The