Hi all,
I have come up with a design and would appreciate some feedback, tips, or
pointers etc.

2 routers connected to 3 switches.
2x3660 w/4 x F/Ethernet
1x4006 w/1 GBIC
3524XL w/1 GBIC
3524XL

Routers are connected to each switch, trunked.  Switches are connected as
such:

[4006 GBIC] ---- [GBIC 3524XL F/EtherChannel] == [F/Etherchannel 3524XL]

The routers are also directly connected back to back via F/Ethernet.

Therefore, each router has 4 trunks.  One to each switch, and one to the
other router.
I have configured dot1q trunking, with Vlan 1 the native Vlan.

Each Vlan on the router appears four times, on a subinterface on each
f/ethernet interface.  Each Vlan has its own bridge group.  IRB is
configured and a BVI created to route between the Vlans (no layer 3 on the
fast ethernet trunks or subinterface).

A sample config of a router...

interface fastethernet 0/1
no ip address
speed 100
duplex full

interface fastethernet 0/0.1
encapsulation dot1q 1 native
bridge-group 1

interface fastethernet 0/0.10
encapsulation dot1q 10
bridge-group 10

interface fastethernet 0/1.1
encapsulation dot1q 1 native
bridge-group 1

interface fastethernet 0/1.10
encapsulation dot1q 10
bridge-group 10

interface BVI1
ip address 10.1.0.1 255.255.0.0

interface BVI10
ip address 10.10.0.1 255.255.0.0

bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge 1 route ip

bridge 10 protocol ieee
bridge 10 route ip

... and so on ... (about 15 vlans in total).

(this was typed in from memory so please excuse any typos)

One issue I have is that the switches complain regularly about mac-addresses
appearing on multiple trunks (flapping).
Perhaps this is just a warning, as only really one interface should be
providing connectivity for any given Vlan thanks to spanning tree.

Will dot1Q spanning tree have problems with the ieee spanning tree on the
router.  (or should I configure PVST?)

Just to add spice, I've actually got HSRP running on each BVI so that both
routers share the default gateway address for each Vlan.

Thanks all,
Scott Aitken