From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Brian
Sent:   Saturday, November 04, 2000 7:23 PM
To:     SH Wesson
Cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: transfer rate

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, SH Wesson wrote:

> How do we go about calculating how long it takes to calculate something
and
> the speed at which it is transferring.  For instance, if we have a T1
> circuit (full 1.544MB) or a 128KB link, how long will it take to transfer
> 230MB file and how fast does it transfer per second, minute, etc.  I can't
> seem to find anything that deals with calculating this sort of thing on
> Cisco's site.  Thanks.

Its just basic mathmatics really.  If a circuit is transmitting at
1.544Mbps, you can break it down as follows:

Convert to bytes
1544000 bits per second         = 193000 bytes per second
193000 bytes per second / 1024  = 188.47656 kbytes per second

2300kbytes per second / 188.47656       = 12.203 seconds

Assuming ideal conditions (full wire speed etc)

Also realistically you need to back out the framing bits and recalculate
at 1536000 since the framing bits are unusable........but its not going to
move that figure much.  With ISDN it would go like

128000 bites per second         = 16000 bytes per second
16000 bytes per second / 1024   = 15.625 kbytes per second

2300kbytes per second / 15.625  = 147.2 seconds

And this jives, since a T1 is 12 times faster than a 128k isdn line.

Brian